The Driving Force View on Github
On a visit to my hometown, I came across an issue faced by my uncle. Farmers in India need weather updates in real time while government structures fail to do so. In a light mood, he asked me to find a solution to the problem, for instance I can call him to tell weather updates in case of an abrupt change.
Providing updates on call isn’t feasible for a man who sleeps at 3 am and wakes up late afternoon. But I found a workaround.
A python script to send weather updates or similar data via SMS using twilio.
- Python: If you know programming and have no idea what python is, man! you need some books ‘on your face’. In short, it’s a high-level programming language. A Beginner’s Python Installing Tutorial
pip: It is a package management system used to install and manage software packages written in Python. We require this to install twilio.
Installation:1sudo easy_install pip
Twilio: This will help us to send free SMS.
Installation:1sudo pip install twilio
- Get an account on twilio. Click here to create and account.
- Verify the phone number on twilio to recieve SMS.
- Use Open Weather Map API to retrieve live weather updates and forecast weather data. Note: This code retrieves the forecast of the next day at noon. You can change it in line number 8.12345678910111213141516171819while True:data = json.load(urllib2.urlopen('http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?q=Delhi,India'))forec = json.load(urllib2.urlopen('http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?q=Delhi,India'))t = float(float(data['main']['temp']) - 272.15)fmt = "%d-%m-%Y, %H:%M:%S"now_time = datetime.now(timezone('Asia/Kolkata'))msg = 'Station: ' + data['name'] + ' ' + now_time.strftime(fmt) + ': Weather: ' +data['weather']['description'] + ', Temp: ' + str(float(t)) + 'C'fmt = "%d"forec_date = '2015-07-' + str(int(now_time.strftime(fmt)) + 1) +' 12:00:00'for x in forec['list']:if(str(forec_date) in str(x['dt_txt'])):t = float(float(x['main']['temp']) - 272.15)msg += ' and ' + x['dt_txt'] + 'Weather:' + x['weather']['description'] + ', Temp: ' + str(float(t)) + 'C'print msgprint 'SMS ID: ', sendSMS(msg)print '------------------------------------------------------------------------'time.sleep(180)
- Function to send SMS. Note: You need to replace, ‘ACCOUNT_SID’, ‘AUTH_TOKEN’, ‘to’ and ‘from’ with twilio account id, twilio authentication token, the mobile number and your twilio number, respectively in the code below.123456def sendSMS(body):ACCOUNT_SID = "AC2a7f100XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"AUTH_TOKEN = "77b9a6e4XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"client = TwilioRestClient(ACCOUNT_SID, AUTH_TOKEN)mes = client.messages.create(to="+91XXXXXXXXXX", from_="+14XXXXXXXXX", body=body)print mes
- Save the code in a file as ‘sms-weather.py’ and run it in python.
Now grab a coffee or cold drink and get free weather updates at an interval of 3 minutes.